Monday – January 20, 2014
It’s Monday evening and I’ve been sent a day early to labor and delivery by the specialist for my induction. I was told to arrive at 6:00pm – I got back in my room at 10:00pm. The plan was to get the Cervidil (to RIPEN my cervix – sounds sexy, doesn’t it?) that evening in preparation for the induction the following morning. Well, plans change! After getting my medical history, the doctor on call decided that since I have a history of asthma (even though very mild) it would be best not to do the Cervidil and to just go ahead and start with a small drip of Pitocin IV and gradually increase the next day.
At this point I was upset because I had wanted Dr. B to deliver my baby girl and since I was going in a day early it was looking like that would not be the case. Plans – I know! The uncertainty of everything in this case was also a huge weight on me. Some women get Cervidil and make it no more than a few hours and they deliver their baby before even needing to get the induction with Pitocin. Some women make it to the Pitocin and push out the baby by lunch time. Some women get the Pitocin and don’t deliver until a couple days later. And some women get the Pitocin and then days later – nothing, nada, no progress whatsoever – those women get c-sections.
Originally I thought I wanted a c-section, I thought I could handle the recovery better with an incision on my abdomen than on my lady parts. Then, I thought I could handle a vaginal delivery and it would be the best way to enter her into the world. THEN, THEN I spent my first night in the hospital with my Pitocin cocktail dripping in my arm while wide awake. I could hear moaning across the hallway – painful moaning and the groaning of words I don’t care to repeat followed by the sound of a newborn crying. Then I decided a c-section would not be too bad.
Tuesday – January 21, 2014
The next morning the new doctor on call arrived to check me out and see how my cervix had progressed. There was no progression whatsoever. Dr. H decided that while she was checking my cervix, she would go ahead and try to “stretch” the membranes while she was all up in there. I have NEVER experienced pain like that before. It was excruciating. It took a good few hours for the soreness to subside and by then it was time for my mid-day check. Still no progression. She offered up the option of a foley balloon catheter to help dilate my cervix and told me to think about it. I thought about it. No. I was in pain once again from another Dr. H cervix check – so this time I requested pain medication. They offered me IV Fentanyl – I did not decline.
It was now evening and time for my next cervix check. Still no progression. Dr. H told me that she had consulted with Dr. B and they both agreed that I could go ahead and get the Cervidil, but have an inhaler by my bedside should it cause an asthmatic episode. At this point I would get to detach from my IV tubes and have a little freedom – even though I would still have the monitors attached to my belly monitoring baby girl. I took advantage and asked if I could take a shower. I got in a real hot dinner (I had been getting clear liquids only earlier) and a nice long hot shower and then it was time for the Cervidil. Oh myyyy. It looked like a ribbon! It was going to be shoved up behind my cervix and I had to stay in bed for a couple hours and not stand up. The Cervidil placement wasn’t AS painful as the membrane stretching, but it was still not pleasant at all. At least the nurse did it this time. A few hours later it was a little after midnight and my right shoulder was very sore and I was starting to get a headache. I requested pain meds. They offered IV Fentanyl again. Again, I did not decline.
Wednesday – January 22, 2014
The next morning Dr. B was on call and he came to check on me. Still. No. Progression. The Pitocin didn’t do anything. The Cervidil didn’t do anything. He did a quick ultrasound to make sure baby girl was still head down – she was! He mentioned that we might want to start thinking about a c-section if there is still no progression when he comes back again. He would not let this induction go beyond two days and we were on day two already. A little before he was due to come check on me I heard moaning down the hall again followed by a newborn crying. I did not want that. I didn’t have it in me. I made up my mind. Dr. B walked through the door to check on me. No progression. The words that came out of my mouth immediately were “just do it!” and I was agreeing to a c-section right there. He was thinking with the schedule it might not be until that evening, but he would go check the operating room and let us know. While he was gone I decided to go to the bathroom and I thought how I would take a nice hot shower and wash my hair since I had a few hours before the c-section. Plans! When I emerged from the bathroom there were about 10 people in my room ready to start prepping me and get me back to the operating room ASAP, because it just happened to be available right then. The whole thing was like a whirlwind – sign this, shave this, take off all metal jewelry and hair accessories! Holy crap – I was about to have a baby! I started getting extremely anxious, because somehow in the back of my mind I just figured the induction would never end and I was sort of ok with that.
I knew what was coming next – the spinal block. I think I was more nervous about that than the actual surgery. The anesthesiologist was very kind and talked me through the whole thing. I still cried. As soon as they were done they told me to roll back over onto the bed fast or else just my butt would be numb – I rolled over. Everything started to get warm, fuzzy and VERY numb! Now began the cutting and then finally…
My beautiful Baby Eleanor was now here. I was so happy with my final birth experience – and I was absolutely ecstatic that Dr. B delivered her after our four year journey to get her here.